Why Your Law Firm Needs a Document Management System
Lawyers deal with an unsettling amount of documents every day. While these documents are valuable and usually urgent, keeping all of them in order can be a real challenge. To make matters worse, most law offices and firms are often filled with hard-to-reach shelves consisting of hardbound books from top to bottom.
Fortunately, the advent of the digital age has paved the way for more convenient and effective document storage and retrieval. With a modern document management system, lawyers will no longer have to worry about keeping their files organized and accessible. Here’s what you need to know so that you might experience its benefits:
What Is A Document Management System?
A document management system can track, manage, and store documents to reduce paperwork. With this system, there’s no need to carry around piles of documents around. The files are stored in native file formats, such as Microsoft Word, PDF, or Excel. There are also some that store data as web-based documents through HTML.
HTML files allow the content to be imported into the system, in which the software will then act as a search engine so lawyers can find what they’re looking for faster.
Why You Should Get A Document Management System
There are many benefits when you get a legal document management system, such as:
- Better organization of files: A document management system in place is a better way to organize all of your files instead of storing them in a shared file drive or in an email system.
- Ease of access: When a document is not filed correctly, it’s easy to get lost amid the piles of paperwork that lawyers have to go through every single day. Save yourself the trouble and get a document management system instead. It will keep your documents organized and minimize the chances of losing them. More importantly, you can always find what you’re looking for with just a few clicks.
- Better security: Document security is crucial to every law firm. If you don’t have a secure document management system, then you could be in a lot of trouble. A document management system will feature multiple levels of security to ensure you have total control over who can access, read, delete, and/or edit the documents.
- Better collaboration: A huge part of a lawyer’s daily life is sending documents to colleagues and clients. Email is one of the most popular avenues, but it poses a significant security risk. Some documents shouldn’t be sent via email. Using a document management system will allow you to use a specific portal where you can collaborate with your colleagues better should you need to send sensitive information.
- Reduce the use of paper: Almost everyone today prefers to go paperless. While law firms may not fully achieve a paperless office, reducing it by a significant amount would be a huge step.
When you consider all of these benefits, it becomes clear that a document management system is a necessary tool in today’s law firms. A document management system will allow better tracking, managing, and organizing for documents that are vital to lawyers these days. Investing in a document management tool will go a long way, and it will boost productivity levels at the firm.
Legal Technology Finder offers top-notch document management software that you can rely on. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help your law firm!